Frequently Asked Questions
What is chiropractic?
Chiropractors focus on disorders of the muscular, skeletal, and nervous systems.
Chiropractic care restores the normal function to the musculoskeletal system, often providing pain relief and reduction of symptoms associated with:
- Lack of exercise
- Poor posture
- Injuries/ accidents
- Wear and tear
The “chiropractic adjustment” or “spinal manipulation” is the primary treatment used by chiropractors.
Spinal manipulation: applying a controlled force to restricted joints, restores joint motion, reducing pain and muscle tension.
What symptoms and conditions do chiropractors treat?
Conditions commonly treated by chiropractic include:
- Back pain – both upper and lower
- Neck pain
- Tight muscles
- Muscle Spasms
- Body and muscle fatigue
- Plantar fasciitis
- Herniated disc
- Joint problems
- Rotator cuff problems
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Knee/ankle/foot and joint problems
- Tennis elbow
- Golfers elbow
Chiropractic patients often report reduction of symptoms such as stress, insomnia, and colic. Recent research has shown spinal manipulation helps reduce blood pressure.
When should I see a chiropractor?
- If you answer yes to any of these questions, you will likely benefit from chiropractic care
– Are you achy in the morning?
– Do you experience headaches?
– Do you have poor posture?
– Does your job involve physical or mental stress? (sitting, standing, bending. repetitive activity)
– Is it taking longer than expected to recover from an injury or accident?
- The head turn test: Turn your head as far as you can in one direction and then the other. If you notice any pain or limited range of motion this indicates restriction that may be related to headaches, neck pain, jaw pain, and shoulder pain.
- Shoulder pain: Pain when someone grabs your shoulders.
- Balance test: Are you able to balance steadily while standing on one leg? Chiropractic helps with balance and coordination!
- Chiropractors are great at getting you back to work when you can’t get out of bed, but pain is not a prerequisite to chiropractic treatment! Many patients receive regular chiropractic care because spinal manipulations have a noticeable and positive impact on their overall health.
What to expect on the first visit.
- Please set aside 60-minutes for the initial visit.
- The new patient paperwork is filled out by the patient.
- The chiropractor reviews this information and asks a series of questions relevant to the history.
- The chiropractor performs a focused physical exam based on the history.
- The doctor presents his exam findings along with treatment plan and goals.
- Chiropractic care may begin at this time (if indicated).
- A chiropractic treatment from Dr. Jameson varies depending on the patient presentation.
- Patient education is crucial for success; so the chiropractor will discuss things such as posture, stretching, nutrition, and stress management.
- Feel free to call the office if you have any questions that are not answered in the FAQ. 816-591-0728
Does chiropractic hurt?
For the most part chiropractic care is comfortable and relaxing like a massage.
There may be minor discomfort with some chiropractic adjustments. Following the treatment, the restored function reduces pain and encourages healing.
Some patients may experience minor muscle soreness after the adjustment, which usually resolves within a day. Dr. Jameson takes much care in providing effective results without causing additional stress or discomfort.
How often should I see a chiropractor?
You should expect to see the chiropractor more frequently when you are in acute pain. It is important to remember that pain is a signal from your body that something is wrong.
Patients sometimes express that once the pain has been resolved that chiropractic care is no longer required: however, the underlying dysfunction that caused the pain may still need to be addressed for a period of time after the pain subsides.
Dr. Jameson will give you a professional and honest recommendation for a treatment frequency with no high-pressure sales-pitch.
Patients who receive regular chiropractic care tend to feel better because they know that regular chiropractic care is a proactive way to maintain health and balance.
Which insurances are accepted?
Dr. Jameson is a preferred provider for BCBS (Blue Cross and Blue Shield), Humana and United Healthcare. For other insurance companies we are happy to bill as “out-of-network.”
For individuals without insurance coverage, we have maintained a pricing structure that allows care for all budgets.
I have a question that is not answered here.
Please call the office at 816-591-0728. You will receive a response promptly. Dr. Jameson typically returns phone calls between noon and 1pm.